Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve shared a couple of oat-based granola recipes. Today I have a grainless granola recipe for those who don’t do well with grains or prefer to eat paleo – or just want to give it a try to change things up!
My granola recipes are all no added sugar, gluten free, and no added oils. They are very versatile as you can swap ingredients, use different add-ins, chose favorite spices etc – and make it to your taste. I most frequently keep mine quite plain, adding seasonal fruit from the garden and homemade yogurt.
Eating grains can sometimes cause issues for people and lead to bloating, gas, pain, and other symptoms. Eliminating grains, refined sugar and dairy can sometimes help. And many people now eliminate grains for their health.
So today’s recipe is grain free. Yes, you can still enjoy granola without grains. It’s made with nuts and seeds instead. And to make it special, I add in some edible dried flowers. If you don’t have any – you can easily skip them, but they do make it look pretty. It gives the message that this isn’t a hardship granola, having to go without grains. The flowers add something extra so there is no feeling of deprivation. Plus, we get some different phytonutrients from the flowers.
- 1/2 cup each of raw organic almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds, roughly chopped (total 2 cups of nuts and seeds of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small pot (4oz) or 1/4 cup of unsweetened, organic apple sauce
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried edible flowers
- Heat oven to 375F/190C.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick paper/parchment.
- Combine the nuts and seeds together in a bowl and stir in the cinnamon (not raisins).
- Add the applesauce and stir thoroughly until well combined.
- Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir well, bringing the edges into the center so they don't burn.
- Return to the oven for another 10 minutes, keeping an eye on it so it doesn't overcook.
- If crispy and dry, remove from the oven. If it is still a bit soft, cook for an extra couple of minutes.
- Let it cool.
- Add the raisins and edible flowers and mix. Store in an airtight container for up to a month.
To read more posts like this, please sign-up on the sidebar of this page. If you don’t get a confirmation email, please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can feel confident that we won’t pass along your contact information, nor will we inundate you with marketing messages — the only mail we will send will be to notify you of a new post.